Monday, August 24, 2009

Language and Knowledge

Friends,

I was thinking about the economy and people in need. With all the talk about uninsured people, I was thinking about Masonic charities and how they continue to deliver quality care without fee to the recipient - all without the help of government. In particular, I was thinking about the Scottish Rite's Language Centers that help children with speech problems. As my 20 month old son says, "Daddy, Daddy, Daddy," I can't imagine being a parent of a child who can't say "Daddy" or "Momma." It would just break my heart. Seeing the looks on the parents faces, having sent their kids though our program in Pasadena, makes my donations of time and money worth every cent.

In the 8th degree, the candidate learns that the progress of civilization and organizations is based upon the transmission of knowledge to subsequent generations. It is education that binds generations together. Without a commitment to education, no society or company can endure.

Question for reflection: What role does the use of language play in the transmission of knowledge? Can knowledge be transmitted without language?

No comments:

Post a Comment